ENGAGE selling solutions - inspiring results
ENGAGING IDEAS

Join the Engage community of sales experts.






Thursday, August 17, 2006

In sales, we get paid to pay attention. We need to pay attention when our prospect is talking, when we are asking questions, when we are presenting to a group, when we are driving around our territories (on the look out for new prospects) and in internal meetings. I have found that the most successful sales people are the most attentive sales people.

I am always amazed by how inattentive sales people can be. We are multi-tasking, thinking about what to say next, or hoping our prospect will be quiet long enough for us to make our next point. We are not always 100% focused on the prospect/client. Yet, think about it….if you don’t pay attention, how will we know what the customer really wants to buy?

Paying attention means listening to what your prospect says AND also how they say it. It means listening with your ears, as well as your eyes. Be sure to watch body language and listen to their tone, sometimes the most obvious buying signals are not verbal.

When my friend Mike Staver (http://www.thestavergroup.com/) was in college, he did an experiment in my Psych 101 class. He was instructed to respond with an enthusiastic, "Bad, thanks!" when asked, "How are you?" Mike, along with the rest of the class, was amazed that far more than 80 percent of the people responded to our saying, "Bad, thanks!" with, "Great, have a good day!" (Or something close to that).

If you want to have some fun….at your next cocktail party try it! – You’ll be amazed at how few people pay attention to what you say.

So how do you know if you are paying attention? Mike has created a checklist to determine just how well you do at paying attention that I think is worth paying Attention to:

Here are 15 Ways to test how well you are paying attention. Check of all that apply to you…and be honest!

1. I approach important situations without clearing my mind or taking steps to prevent interruptions or distractions.

2. I engage in other activities while I'm listening (opening e-mail, surfing the net, putting the phone on mute and having other conversations.....be honest now - answer my blackberry etc.).

3. I assume I know what others will say.

4. I interrupt. (Colleen Note: This is a BIG one for sales people)

5. I finish sentences for people.

6. I become impatient and tune others out when they say things I don't agree with or don't want to hear.

7. I form a rebuttal or response in my mind while they talk.

8. I ignore non-verbal cues such as tone, voice, or body language.

9. I act as if I understand when in fact I don't. (Colleen Note: Please don't be afraid to ask questions)

10. I listen for specific facts rather than broad ideas.

11. I fidget when people speak too slowly. (Colleen Note: This is another BIG one for sales people)

12. I dwell on aspects of the speaker that have no bearing on the content (clothing, mannerisms, etc.).

13. I daydream while others are talking.

14. I use repetitive responses (uh huh, right, ok etc.).

15. I use body language that discourages communication.

Paying attention to your prospects and clients will result in more profits for you. I challenge you to choose one of the items you checked off and commit to not do it for the next week. You will be amazed at how hard it is and how effective you will become.

For more information about Mike Stave visit http://www.thestavergroup.com/

Dedicated to increasing your sales,

Colleen Francis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home