ENGAGE selling solutions - inspiring results
ENGAGING IDEAS

Join the Engage community of sales experts.






Sunday, February 04, 2007

Make your message unique!


Normally when I check into a hotel, there are not so subtle reminders around my room that in the interests of the environment staff will not change your sheets or towels unless you really really want them to. I always thought that this was brilliant consumer relations. The hotel becomes environmentally responsible, which makes us feel good about staying there, while saving a ton on money in washing – IE being completely self serving (and you are always debating my claim that humans are lazy and selfish!). I also have to admit, that I have become immune to the reminders. Routinely ignoring them and certainly not reading them.


Today, one caught my eye. I just checked into the Marriott Long Warf in Boston, plugged in my laptop to write this blog posting and was inspired by the note on the desk. This Marriott doesn't have an environmental policy, it has a “just like home” Linen Reuse Program. What the *!#@$$!! Now that is really laying on the guilt…and it’s brilliant!

Why? Because its different than all the other "linen reuse" messages in hotels, AND its implying that this experience will be just like home. After all....there is no place like home. right?

Every road weary traveler is looking for a piece of home in their hotel room. So why not take advantage of it like Marriott is doing. They are staying that this hotel room will be as good as, or as clean as, my bed at home –AND its good for the environment. Sheeze…can’t beat that argument. I have not seen any other hotel using this logic and it certainly stands, out and catches my attention.

My guess is that Marriott has a higher comply rate than other hotels because the message is presented differently. I actually read it! (HINT: are you presenting your message differently than your competitors?) Now of course after tonight while I am eating dinner in bed while watching the Super Bowl (something I don’t do at home) and proceed to make a huge mess, they will need to provide me clean sheets ( just like I would have to do at home) . So much for being environmentally responsible...

Helping you stand out from the crowd!

Colleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home